Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2010, 12:07 AM  
Traveler

Knoxville, TN
To the guy's question of Noah. First, it the Bible litteral or fable? If the answer is fable, then God Himself is a fable, you'll need to take that up with him.

It never rained before Noah, a dew arose from the earth to water the plants, this is why Noah was mocked, no one believe him. The story is about God's wrath on a people who denied Him. God closed the door of the Ark but what he really did was close the door on the hearts of men who rejected Him.

The story is a warning for the believer and the none believer, God will take you/me off this earth if we are rejecting of Him.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:09 AM  

Charlotte, North Carolina
Nothing I study, nor any of the science I adhere to disproves my own faith.
Even the very evangelical and fundamentalist Church of God (Cleveland TN) is beginning to accept most of the science of the origins of the universe and incorporate it into their literal belief of the scriptures.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:24 AM  
Traveler

Knoxville, TN
Unrelated. But his series is fascinating.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:06 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkonyn View Post
Have you read much on Zeno? His paradoxes deal heavily with the idea of infinitesimal numbers, imaginary numbers and the like. One of my favorites is if someone with a lamp that is off was given a minute, and at each midpoint they flipped a light switch (so at 30 seconds, then 15 seconds, then 7.5 so on and so forth) till that minute was up, at the end of that minute would the lamp be on or off?

His paradoxes show the quirks and flaws of math, and they only way we can overcome these flaws is by "fudging" or creating imaginary numbers which still do not answer the question.

I would be interested in hearing how someone can mathematically calculate the idea of a "big bang" and evolution based upon numbers which fail, aren't real, don't exist, ect.
It's impossible to say. Flicking the switch at an increasing rate approaching infinite, the switch would be destroyed "long" before the minute was up. There is no information given to indicate whether the switch would fail "on" or "off".
Old 02-27-2011, 07:13 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOV2 View Post
My coherent point is, nothing is conclusive, ever. It just depends on who's science you want to use to make whatever position you favor.

FWIW, If I wanted to bother, I remember stories of sea shells in deserts and at elevations they should not be....sea life fossils where they should not be...you will never come to a definetive conclusion. I choose the theory that best aligns with my faith. What is the point of having faith to only spend all my time and energy to disprove my faith?
NOV2....you banned or not?

Deepsky....any comments on the quote above?

Is "conclusiveness" elusive? Is there conclusive proof in either of your respectable points?

Ultimately, is faith provable? Is the essence of something unseen undeniably provable?

Interested.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:42 PM  

Shuswap, BC
Okay I will bite.
Why do JW's even care about their religion, since according to them heaven is already full, so they cannot go there anyways.
And why do they insist on being so damn annoying as to knock on peoples doors, trying to force their crap on others.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:48 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCboy View Post
Okay I will bite.
Why do JW's even care about their religion, since according to them heaven is already full, so they cannot go there anyways.
And why do they insist on being so damn annoying as to knock on peoples doors, trying to force their crap on others.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!