Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Missouri > St Louis
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2010, 02:43 PM  
KC Born and Raised!

Kansas City, MO
E-Tax. Should it stay or should it go?

I posted this in the KC side, but also wanted to get opinions from the East side of the state too.

Just wanted to get everybody's opinions on the e-tax. As I'm sure you're all aware, Missouri voters have decided to give STL and KC residents the choice if they want to keep paying the e-tax.

As much as I don't like paying anything extra, I love KC, and realize that they CAN'T function without it. It's only 1% of your check, but makes up over $200 million for the city. I guarantee if we voters eliminate it, we will have to make up for it in sales/real estate/personal property taxes. At least the way it is now those that live outside the city but work in it help shoulder some of the financial burden. But if we get rid of the e-tax, those that don't live here but work here can use our water/sewer, police, fire, EMS, roads, etc, etc., then go back to their own city without chipping in.

What are your thoughts??

Old 11-23-2010, 07:54 AM  

Saint Louis, Missouri
I don't take issue with paying the tax or any tax as long as it is being spent appropriately and not squandered like many of our tax dollars.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:23 PM  

St. Louis, Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooKeeper View Post
I don't take issue with paying the tax or any tax as long as it is being spent appropriately and not squandered like many of our tax dollars.
I agree and think many would as well. The problem comes to defining what that means though. Years ago I worked in the city and was surprised on my first check to see the tax. At first I was a little annoyed given that I live in the county rather than city. It occurred to me, however, that when it comes down to it I still was reaping the benefits of those taxes.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:13 AM  

St. Louis, Missouri
I am very much in favor of keeping the tax. In St Louis City, the tax keeps both the Zoo and the Art Museum free to all.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:18 AM  
Go Blues!

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
I say keep it, 1% is not very much to help keep a City thriving! I also donate to the Zoo and Science Center each year. Both are treasures of our city!
Old 12-06-2010, 12:40 PM  

Saint Louis, Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigolbigbelly View Post
I am very much in favor of keeping the tax. In St Louis City, the tax keeps both the Zoo and the Art Museum free to all.
Wrong! The ZMD, food and parking, and contributions pay for the zoo. Here is a brief statement from the President of the Zoo.

How an Earnings Tax Harms Cities Like Saint Louis and Kansas City

I don't know where this money is supposed to be going, but it isn't roads. It might be for fancy wrought iron overpass fences and their clean up when they fall off the bridge. (Story Here)

It is also not for plowing or repairing roads that they buy from other county municipalities. e.g. State Highway B (aka Natural Bridge Rd) in Bridgeton. When the city(who owns the airport) bought Carrolton fron the city of Bridgeton for the airport expansion, that apparently included state highway B. This was done so that St Louis Metro Police can have jurisdiction around the airport, which I understand I guess(at least until they give me a ticket). But the City of Bridgeton was told by the city that they were no longer allowed to maintain the road, to include plowing or sweeping under penalty of fine. After it snows you can literally go out and watch the snow plows / sweepers turn around when the get to the road.

Here is an Idea St Louis City, let me keep my 1% percent, let my company keep their 0.5% and I will plow and sweep the road.

Don't even get me started about the drive to work!
Old 01-04-2011, 12:49 PM  

Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleforge View Post
I say keep it, 1% is not very much to help keep a City thriving! I also donate to the Zoo and Science Center each year. Both are treasures of our city!
Well thats fallacious on its face.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Missouri > St Louis
Bookmark this Page!