Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Austin
Click Here to Login

Reply
Old 08-31-2010, 10:10 AM  
Member

Austin, Texas
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 33 | Kudos: +10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funetical View Post
Magnolia does, and they are excellent.

Kirby lane is the most overrated horrible food having place in Austin. I hate it. I have never had a good meal and people rave about it like it's the end all of Austin cuisine. If you're drunk and it's 3am they rock, but not more than IHOP.
And thus the legend of Kirby was born. I used to frequent the one on Lamar after clubbing all night. I haven't frequented it in a LONG time. They opened up a new one on William Cannon near Loop1. I work down the street doing graveyard shifts and they offer a decent "early bird special". The migas are pretty good but stay away from the biscuits and gravy
__________________

Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:22 AM  
Junior Member
 
healthfreak22's Avatar

Austin
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 10 | Kudos: +10
Quote:
Originally Posted by balloo93 View Post
Doesn't Magnolia have vegan? I believe I have seen some Vegan options at kurby lane as well.

Closest I get to Vegan is eating a quality free range steak.....at least the cow was vegan.
Haven't tried Magnolia, but one of my friends just ate there the other day and came home singing its praises. I have, on the other hand, tried Kirby Lane. I like the menu choices, when I can't find vegan food I settle for vegetarian, and I must say I love Kirby Lane's vegeburger. Huts on 6th street also has good alternatives to meat choices.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:43 PM  
Moderator Emeritus
 
Austin's Avatar

Texas
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,990 | Kudos: +90
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthfreak22 View Post
Haven't tried Magnolia, but one of my friends just ate there the other day and came home singing its praises. I have, on the other hand, tried Kirby Lane. I like the menu choices, when I can't find vegan food I settle for vegetarian, and I must say I love Kirby Lane's vegeburger. Huts on 6th street also has good alternatives to meat choices.
I find their veggie burger to be uninspired and over priced. It's the same fair as everywhere else, with a higher price tag.

I'm with Funetical, I don't like Kirby lane.
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:50 AM  
Junior Member
 
healthfreak22's Avatar

Austin
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 10 | Kudos: +10
What are y'alls Kirby Lane alternatives? I like the feel of the restaurant, but if there is something better out there I would definitely try it.
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:27 PM  
Member
 
addie's Avatar

san marcos, texas
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 93 | Kudos: +14
Images: 3
I disagree about Kirby Lane. I think they have great food. Magnolia is good too.
The Whole Foods downtown has lots of great vegan options if your looking for a quick lunch or grabbing something for dinner.
__________________
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason."
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:29 PM  
facepalm
 
jeepcache's Avatar

Minot, ND
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,722 | Kudos: +57
Images: 1
FWIW i eat at the pita pit up here frequently and have never been sick. seems to be a far cry cleaner than subway
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:03 PM  
southern conservative

Austin, Texas
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 133 | Kudos: +15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funetical View Post
Magnolia does, and they are excellent.

Kirby lane is the most overrated horrible food having place in Austin. I hate it. I have never had a good meal and people rave about it like it's the end all of Austin cuisine. If you're drunk and it's 3am they rock, but not more than IHOP.
HA! This you and I can totally agree on. I've eat there several times and couldn't stand it. I only went back because my buddies like it. I think the only reason why is because it's suppose to be hip to like it.
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:11 AM  
Senior Member
 
Funetical's Avatar

Austin
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 345 | Kudos: +20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78BO View Post
HA! This you and I can totally agree on. I've eat there several times and couldn't stand it. I only went back because my buddies like it. I think the only reason why is because it's suppose to be hip to like it.
It's very hip to like it. I concur with the comment on it being fresh, but bad is bad.
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:45 AM  
Senior Member
 
Pandora06's Avatar

Rockwall
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 511 | Kudos: +17
I personally like Kirby Lane (maybe because I'm in the college age bracket)-- Anything open 24 hours is automatically delicious. Although that having said, I can see where the "lack of luster" comes into play for people who want more than a decent veggie burger at 3 am.
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:53 PM  
Member

Austin, Texas
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 33 | Kudos: +10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora06 View Post
I personally like Kirby Lane (maybe because I'm in the college age bracket)-- Anything open 24 hours is automatically delicious. Although that having said, I can see where the "lack of luster" comes into play for people who want more than a decent veggie burger at 3 am.
See, that's the thing for me as well. I work graveyards shifts, and they just opened a new Kirby down south at William Cannon near South Loop1. The have earlybird specials for $3.85 and it's more food than I need at 4am. The Migas are pretty damn tasty, and the sampler is good enough as well.

The Gingerbread pancakes are okay, but even a short stack is too much gingerbread. The reg ones are good.

DO NOT order the biscuits and gravy breakfast, it is horrible. My wife is from Oklahoma and that is biscuit and gravy Mecca. Hell, I make better biscuits and gravy then Kirby does... and mine are pretty bad.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Austin
Bookmark this Page!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Suggested Threads

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.