Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > General City Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2011, 11:57 AM  

Charlotte, NC
water and sewer - 20-25

Old 06-13-2011, 11:58 AM  

Baltimore, Maryland
I'm on a flat payment plan (they guess your average usage based on previous usage and bill you a flat rate every month, every couple of months they adjust it if you're over/under what you actually owe - so far they owe me $30 this year) so my rates are pretty much locked in. I live in a 2 story row home (about 900 square feet) with very old leaky windows and pretty much no insulation (exposed brick on two walls)

Electric bill is $91 with various bull**** taxes/chargs that jump it up to $130 (it's billed at 10.071 cents/kWh)
Gas bill is $10 with some BS charges bringing it up to $28 (it's 60 cents/therm)
Water is like $70/every 3 months, but that's about to go up thanks to city taxes.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:00 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora06 View Post
I'm taking classes over the summer, one of my projects I'm choosing to do is a study of utility prices and creating a map showing the current prices across the Country.

Please post your city/state, square footage of house and what your utility bill was last month.

It would be even more helpful if you could put how much your electricity was and how much your water was.
Keizer, OR 97303
You should know that because of mountain ranges Oregon is really several microclimes ranging from desert to Northern rain forests. I live in the rain forest and our weather is very mild even in winter.

I live in a 680 sq. ft. apartment

The landlord covers the cost of water so I don't even know my individual usage.

Santa Rosa, CA
Too much!

1200 sq ft home: $108 for water/sewer last month, $120 for gas/elec. That goes to $200 in cold months and water goes to $75.
Yankee stuck in FL

Estero, FL unfortunately..
Estero Florida.

Electric $180-$200+ thanks to 24/7 AC running....

Water is included in my rent.
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
Department of Public Utilities, Richmond, Virginia

Richmond VA > Public Utilities > Utility Rates
Old 06-13-2011, 12:01 PM  

Tulsa, OK
all my utilities are covered by the landlord
Old 06-13-2011, 12:02 PM  

Bradford, Vermont
Bill's paid, paperwork's gone, so I can't provide rock-hard data. I can come pretty close, though.

No city, township of Bradford, VT. 2400sf Cape (the layout of the house can be significant), oriented almost exactly NSEW, with two full-time human occupants. Power bill runs something like $100/month, year-round. The power bill is divided into three charges:

Customer Charge/Month: $9.65
1st 200 kWh/Month:. $0.07722/KWH
Over 200 kWh/Month: $0.17243/KWH

Water is private shallow (nearly gravity feed) well, pump is 3/4HP (about 12Ah), pumping efficiency is very high. Water usage is far less than the national average of 75gal/day/person.

Sewer is private septic tank, no periodic charge.

Clothes dryer is propane, range/oven is propane, water heater is propane, house heating is wood pellets FHA (3/4HP blower). Small (10cuft) chest freezer in the basement. No whole-house cooling, one 5KBTU window air conditioner in one room (sticker estimate $42/yr operating cost). Manual setback thermostat. About half the upstairs gets closed off full-time in winter.

Lotta' factors in figuring electricity efficiency, huh?
Old 06-13-2011, 12:04 PM  

Brooklyn, NY
I'd love to help, but I live in a +/-500sq.ft. Apt in Brooklyn NY and I pay a flat rate for rent & utilities of $500 a month.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:06 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_bald_guy View Post
When I receive my bill, I will post. Most utility companies include the rate per KWH on their bills. Water companies also usually include price per gallon.
This is a good point that ABG makes.

I'm not sure what kind of study you're doing, but it could be that looking at monthly payments is not a good indicater of actual utility prices. There's way too many variables, and square footage is only one of them.

That being said, My house is about 2000 sq.ft. It was built in the 1930's and has lousy insulation, plus I have three power hungry teenagers so my washer and dryer, the kitchen and various entertainment toys are running 24/7. My electrical bill averages about 75.00 per month, and my city water is free. But I heat with oil and that costs me about 4500.00 per year.
But those are all Canadian numbers so they are basically meaningless in terms of your study. I just threw them out there as a point of interest.

And speaking of utilities, I consider cable, telephone and garbage disposal as part of my annual utility costs.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > General City Discussion
Bookmark this Page!