Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2010, 10:10 PM  

Provo, Utah
Are you familiar with Aristotle's/Thomas Aquinas' proof/concept of God?
How do you feel about it?

Old 09-03-2010, 10:52 AM  

Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooblyGoob View Post
Are you familiar with Aristotle's/Thomas Aquinas' proof/concept of God?
How do you feel about it?
I am. I think for the time it was written, it was more or less correct. The issue is that science came along and messed all that up, by taking away the ability to reason with the perceived truth, and instead supplemented it with truth.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:29 AM  
just a little lower..

Titusville, Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooblyGoob View Post
How do you feel about Mormonism?
The last time that two young men showed up at my door, we were just sitting down to supper.(chicken & biscuits)

I asked if they were hungry(young guys always are) and invited them to eat with my family. I only had one condition; no religion during our conversation.

They accepted, talked about their home,family,etc. and all went well. Those young men were very well mannered and I enjoyed chatting with them.

After supper, they went on their way with a full belly and hopefully a better opinion of their fellow human beings.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:00 AM  

That's a great idea!
Old 09-04-2010, 07:08 PM  
just a little lower..

Titusville, Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
That's a great idea!
Thank You...

It certainly seemed like the right thing to do.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:00 PM  

Austin
That's great. I'm glad I'm not the only one showing them at least a little respect, they are human.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:46 PM  

Franklin, TN
Have you read much on Zeno? His paradoxes deal heavily with the idea of infinitesimal numbers, imaginary numbers and the like. One of my favorites is if someone with a lamp that is off was given a minute, and at each midpoint they flipped a light switch (so at 30 seconds, then 15 seconds, then 7.5 so on and so forth) till that minute was up, at the end of that minute would the lamp be on or off?

His paradoxes show the quirks and flaws of math, and they only way we can overcome these flaws is by "fudging" or creating imaginary numbers which still do not answer the question.

I would be interested in hearing how someone can mathematically calculate the idea of a "big bang" and evolution based upon numbers which fail, aren't real, don't exist, ect.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:04 PM  

Spokane Valley, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funetical View Post
Ignorance.

I like it!

See I open mine. I like those folks, I just go outside so that way when I'm done talking religion, they don't have to be asked to leave all weirdly.

I think South Park covered the Mormons well. Who cares what they believe? They are nice, now. I don't see Mormons as any more far fetched than any of the others.
Why hate on people when they are nice whatever their beliefs, it is ok to agree to disagree...thanks for what you posted! I am starting to like the way you think!
Old 09-13-2010, 08:16 PM  

Charlotte, North Carolina
Not really familiar with Zeno but it sounds very interesting. I'll have to check it out once the Thesis is complete and I can just research stuff for fun.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:55 PM  

Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkonyn View Post
Have you read much on Zeno? His paradoxes deal heavily with the idea of infinitesimal numbers, imaginary numbers and the like. One of my favorites is if someone with a lamp that is off was given a minute, and at each midpoint they flipped a light switch (so at 30 seconds, then 15 seconds, then 7.5 so on and so forth) till that minute was up, at the end of that minute would the lamp be on or off?

His paradoxes show the quirks and flaws of math, and they only way we can overcome these flaws is by "fudging" or creating imaginary numbers which still do not answer the question.

I would be interested in hearing how someone can mathematically calculate the idea of a "big bang" and evolution based upon numbers which fail, aren't real, don't exist, ect.
Number don't lie and they are not made up. The concept of numerals, is uniquely human, but the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

The Big Bang and the evidence of evolution don't lie in numbers, they lie in observable empirical evidence. Numbers are what we use to consciously process things. All of science has proven it to some degree or another. Mendel for instance, with his study of forced selection, as opposed to natural. I'll read more on Zeno, so I am better able to contest you.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!