Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2010, 12:37 PM  
Traveler

Knoxville, TN
This is Truth.

Isaiah 45

18For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.

19I have not spoken in secret, in a dark place of the earth: I said not unto the seed of Jacob, Seek ye me in vain: I the LORD speak righteousness, I declare things that are right.

20Assemble yourselves and come; draw near together, ye that are escaped of the nations: they have no knowledge that set up the wood of their graven image, and pray unto a god that cannot save.

21Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me.

22Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.

23I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.

24Surely, shall one say, in the LORD have I righteousness and strength: even to him shall men come; and all that are incensed against him shall be ashamed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Verse 20, Christ is addressing His church, we are call to be separate from all others. We covered this in church today and I only post it as an example of Christ's church, He does call us to unify, not under a particular 'religion' but as a body of Christ.

Again, is the Bible Truth of God's word or is it a mere fable? Only you can answer that question, bear in mind though that you will answer for yourself before God at the end of your last day here, consider your answer carefully.
In this passage God is telling you that He is the one and only God, the God of Isreal, and that God speaks the truth, His wisdom, the only source of truth.

Funny thing, our pastor is in the middle of a continuing ed pastoral class and he commented today how God is being taught more like the 3-Rs than that of looking to the Holy Spirit for divine guidence, almost as if God were taken out of God. This is what happens when generation after generation of so-called smart men take it upon themselves to interject themselves into the teaching...that of the flesh. There is a price to pay for that......

Old 11-14-2010, 04:58 PM  

Dayton, Ohio
All I did was ask God "to run my life"...threw the blood of Jesus. Then I found myself understanding more, doing more, and smiling more.
It takes time.

Stay Frosty

Old 11-14-2010, 09:50 PM  

Charlotte, North Carolina
Israel... please spell that correctly.
Also if there wasn't redaction in interpretation of scriptures there wouldn't be Judaism nor would there be Christianity. Judaism changed after the Babylonian captivity from the priestly style of worship and sacrifice in the temple to Rabbinic Judaism. The emphasis went from always seeking cleansing of sin through the sacrifice of animals to a personal striving to be a better more moral person, and a interpersonal relationship with YHWH.

Had Christianity not made changes in interpretation it would have failed from the very beginnings. The earliest followers of the Jesus movement knew that the end of days was coming soon. It didn't. Christianity has known the end was upon them multiple times in its almost two thousand year history. As we are well aware, it hasn't. The most basic message stays the same, but change is necessary. The earliest church fathers knew that, contemporary church leadership in growing denominations know that, and scholars have known that for centuries.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:38 AM  
Traveler

Knoxville, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
Also if there wasn't redaction in interpretation of scriptures there wouldn't be Judaism nor would there be Christianity. Judaism changed after the Babylonian captivity from the priestly style of worship and sacrifice in the temple to Rabbinic Judaism. The emphasis went from always seeking cleansing of sin through the sacrifice of animals to a personal striving to be a better more moral person, and a interpersonal relationship with YHWH.

Had Christianity not made changes in interpretation it would have failed from the very beginnings. The earliest followers of the Jesus movement knew that the end of days was coming soon. It didn't. Christianity has known the end was upon them multiple times in its almost two thousand year history. As we are well aware, it hasn't. The most basic message stays the same, but change is necessary. The earliest church fathers knew that, contemporary church leadership in growing denominations know that, and scholars have known that for centuries.
Failings of phonics.....my brain and fingers and ears don't always cooperate.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:39 AM  
Traveler

Knoxville, TN
Quote:

Please describe one instance whereas Christianity has been re-interpreted. What is a Jesus movement?
Old 11-15-2010, 10:12 AM  

The "Jesus Movement" is the term for the followers of Jesus in the first few decades before the establishment of the Catholic Church. They didn't have the identity of "Christians" at this time, they were Jews and Gentiles who followed what Jesus of Nazareth had told them.

And just off the top of my head.... or my thesis as it was... here ya go.
Quote:
The Scofield Study Bible explains the concept of time by pointing out that “day” (Hebrew: Yom) has four different connotations. A twenty four hour period, a solar day, a distinct day which God has set aside for a special purpose, such as Yom Kippur, and a longer period of time which has no temporal beginning and end. The Church of God recognizes that there are conservative Protestant voices that prescribe to each of the four ideologies that follow the definitions of Yom. In other words, within the conservative denominations of Evangelical Protestants, various authors utilize each of the four ideologies mentioned earlier in the chapter to explain the nuances of the Creation narrative in the light of modern scientific discovery. The Commentary warns against dogmatism for or against a single interpretation of the creation narrative, opening up the Church of God to acceptance of the scientific findings concerning the age and scope of the universe, rather than a narrow belief in a static and measurable idea of a “day” in creation. This means that there is far too much scientific evidence to continue to ascribe to the belief that the universe was created in a literal timeline of six days. The theology must adapt in the light of overwhelming evidence, and this is exactly what the Church of God has done in the 1977 commentary. The idea of an exact timeframe and order of creation, despite what the biblical scriptures say, is seen as left open to discussion and only the idea that God is the transcendent Creator and everything is of his will is irrefutable. Another example of the change in connotation of authority of scripture and understanding is the follow-up question posed by the commentator. Rather than try and refute the idea of evolution with a strict understanding of the text, the commentator offers up the idea of “creative evolution” which postulates that evolution does in fact occur, following a Biblical design of divine creation. That idea alone is a far cry from the hard line stance against the theory of evolution presented by the commentator in the 1971 edition. In eight short years, a major change is evident in the ideology and theology of the Church of God. This change would also find its way to the everyday lives of the saints outside of their interpretation of the creation narrative and the theory of evolution. The shift from a certainty of the texts in a completely literal sense to a utilization of science in conjunction with scripture has demonstrated that the Church of God is open to change and viewpoints that are more widely accepted by American society.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:29 PM  

Another re-interpretation of Christianity is one that established the blueprint for the modern landscape of the entire religion. The Reformation brought about by Luther and continued by Calvin and other Christian writers of the period. Luther's splitting of Christianity into Catholic and Protestan faiths was a major re-interpretation of the faith.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:30 PM  

san marcos, texas
Quote:
Amen, I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation. (Matthew 23:36 NAB)
[/QUOTE]"Truly I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God." (Luke 9:27 NAB)[QUOTE]

Jesus predicted that he would return within the lifetime of his disciples. Even though every gospel gives a different account of Jesus' life, they all seem to agree that they were living in the "end times" and that Christ would return within their lifetime.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:45 PM  
Traveler

Knoxville, TN
"Truly I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God." (Luke 9:27 NAB)
Quote:

Jesus predicted that he would return within the lifetime of his disciples. Even though every gospel gives a different account of Jesus' life, they all seem to agree that they were living in the "end times" and that Christ would return within their lifetime.
Quote:
Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary
23:34-39 Our Lord declares the miseries the inhabitants of Jerusalem were about to bring upon themselves, but he does not notice the sufferings he was to undergo. A hen gathering her chickens under her wings, is an apt emblem of the Saviour's tender love to those who trust in him, and his faithful care of them. He calls sinners to take refuge under his tender protection, keeps them safe, and nourishes them to eternal life. The present dispersion and unbelief of the Jews, and their future conversion to Christ, were here foretold. Jerusalem and her children had a large share of guilt, and their punishment has been signal. But ere long, deserved vengeance will fall on every church which is Christian in name only. In the mean time the Saviour stands ready to receive all who come to him. There is nothing between sinners and eternal happiness, but their proud and unbelieving unwillingness.

Dude, really, you are so far off base.

BTW, even Christ does not know of his return.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:06 PM  
Traveler

Knoxville, TN
Quote:
Another re-interpretation of Christianity is one that established the blueprint for the modern landscape of the entire religion. The Reformation brought about by Luther and continued by Calvin and other Christian writers of the period. Luther's splitting of Christianity into Catholic and Protestan faiths was a major re-interpretation of the faith.

Quote:
2 Timothy 4:4
And they shall turn away [their] ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
I've tried and tried, no use.

Quote:
Timothy 1:4
nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies. These promote controversies rather than God's work--which is by faith.
Quote:
2 Thessalonians 2:11
For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!