Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2010, 06:27 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Just throwing this out there, but one thing I've always been interested in is the claim that Jesus' return would come within one generation of Israel gaining their land back. I don't know how long an average "generation" is, but wouldn't you agree that time's getting short on that?

I wish I remembered a verse or something to back up that claim, but I'm sure someone more educated than I can remember!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 11-16-2010, 07:26 PM  

Charlotte, North Carolina
Citing scripture doesn't help the case dude. Prior to Luther, Catholicism was Christianity. There were no other options. You were either within the church or a heretic.
The Protestant Reformation was a paradigm shift in the interpretation of what it means to be Christian.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:57 PM  
Traveler

Knoxville, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
Just throwing this out there, but one thing I've always been interested in is the claim that Jesus' return would come within one generation of Israel gaining their land back. I don't know how long an average "generation" is, but wouldn't you agree that time's getting short on that?

I wish I remembered a verse or something to back up that claim, but I'm sure someone more educated than I can remember!
Quote:
Israel's rebirth as a state in 1948 or Jerusalem being taken by the Jews in 1967 - The parable of the fig tree (mat 24:32) might indicate that the generation seeing one of these two events will not pass away before all is fulfilled. This projection assumes that the generation Jesus said would not pass away, has a normal life span of 70 to 80 years. 2018-2047 ------- 2018-2047 2033
When Will Jesus Christ Return? - A Realistic Date of The Second Coming, by Don Koenig

Quote:
The name Ephraim is sometimes used representatively in Scripture for the entire northern kingdom, though it can also refer solely to the descendants of Joseph's son of that name?prophesied to become a "multitude of nations" (Genesis 48:19). Remarkably, this promise to Ephraim was fulfilled in the British Empire and Commonwealth.

Ephraim's older brother Manasseh was also prophesied to become a great nation (same verse), separating himself from the multitude of nations. This prophecy would be fulfilled in the formation, growth and dominance of the United States of America.

In a revealing prophecy regarding the United States and Britain, Jacob (Israel) said, "Let my name be named upon them" (verse 16). References to " Israel" in end-time prophecy often refer to the United States or the English-speaking countries of the British Empire or both. Sometimes " Israel" can mean all 12 tribes. We have to look at specific verses in their context to see which is meant.

"Judah," however, always refers to the Jews, the descendants of the house or kingdom of Judah. We must also understand that the modern nation called Israel is really Judah, made up of Jews. (For much more detail, download or request our free booklet The United States and Britain in Bible Prophecy.)

Understanding this critical part of biblical history will help us more fully comprehend a passage of Scripture in the book of Hosea, which is a prophecy about Ephraim (the multitude of nations?Great Britain and some of those nations that came out of her). It warns of destruction to follow the end-time ascendancy of the Israelite nations.

In Hosea 5 we read a prophecy that mentions Israel, Ephraim and Judah: "The pride of Israel testifies to his face; therefore Israel and Ephraim stumble in their iniquity; Judah also stumbles with them" (verse 5). The prophecy continues: "With their flocks and herds they shall go to seek the Lord, but they will not find Him; He has withdrawn Himself from them. They have dealt treacherously with the Lord, for they have begotten pagan children. Now a New Moon shall devour them and their heritage" (verses 6-7).

New moons occur a month apart. A new moon "devouring" them would seem to mean that Israel, Ephraim and Judah will all fall within one month.

This prophecy was not fulfilled in ancient times. As already mentioned, ancient Judah fell to Babylon more than a century after Israel fell to Assyria. Yet in the end it appears they will fall together?within one month of each other. This prophecy remains to be fulfilled.

Remember that Israel gave his name to Ephraim and Manasseh, the ancestors in turn of the British and American peoples. As Ephraim is mentioned separately in this prophecy, the reference to " Israel" must apply to the United States, which is now the more dominant of the two nations.

For two centuries prior to World War II, the roles were reversed with the multitude of nations?the British Empire?a greater power than the single nation, the United States. But today America is the greater.

"Judah" refers to the Jewish people, particularly those who now constitute the modern nation in the Middle East that calls itself Israel.

Here then is a prophecy regarding all three nations?the United States, Britain and Israel (Judah). According to this prophecy, it appears that all three will fall within the span of a month. Verse 6 shows these nations turning back to God, but finding it's too late. Because of their sins, He will let them suffer defeat and collapse.

This prophecy could not have been fulfilled until after the rise of Britain and the United States as world powers in the 19th century and the formation of the Jewish state of Israel in the 20th.

Lest the idea seem outlandish, consider that Israel and the United States are perhaps the most maligned and criticized nations on earth. Among Muslim hard-liners, America is commonly called "the great Satan" and Israel and Britain "the little Satans."

6. The gospel will be preached in all the world
In His major end-time prophecy, Jesus answers the question posed by the disciples: "When will these things be? And what will be the sign of your coming, and of the end of the age?" (Matthew 24:3).

After listing a number of signs of the nearness of His coming, He reveals that "this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come" (verse 14).

The gospel is the good news of the coming Kingdom of God. This message could not be preached around the world without the Bible and freedom of religion. Both came gradually with the ascendancy of the English-speaking peoples from the 16th century until the present day.

However, it was only with the technological advances of television and radio and other means of mass communication after World War II and their widespread acceptance that it became possible to reach hundreds of millions of human beings with the message of the Bible. The gospel of the Kingdom of God will continue to be preached to all nations as long as we have the freedom to continue The Good News magazine and our other media efforts.

Even so, during the last 50 years it has not been possible to reach all countries. The former communist nations did not allow freedom of religion. China, with one quarter of the world's people, still does not. Other nations also try to suppress the publication of biblical truth and even the Bible itself. Many Islamic nations do not allow religious freedom. In some countries people risk the death penalty for changing religion.

But the Internet is changing everything. It is much harder for governments to control. The gospel message of the coming Kingdom of God is still going out to the world. It will finish when God has decided that His work is completed and the time is right for the final end-time events to take place.

This is yet another prophecy that could not be fulfilled until recent times.
Seven Prophecies That Must Be Fulfilled Before Jesus Christ's Return > The Good News: January/February 2008
Old 11-16-2010, 08:10 PM  
Traveler

Knoxville, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
Citing scripture doesn't help the case dude. Prior to Luther, Catholicism was Christianity. There were no other options. You were either within the church or a heretic.
The Protestant Reformation was a paradigm shift in the interpretation of what it means to be Christian.

Wisdom of men is meaningless and so far this is all you have spoken of. Devine wisdom is all that matters.

I will not repeat my comments of the past, but still, they remain.

Fortunately this is a slow forum, but remember, for those who come here and read....they have souls.

God's word is the case, dude.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:35 PM  

Charlotte, North Carolina
And it was written by men, in most cases a series of men over a group of time.

Truth is truth, the Protestant reformation did change Christianity. There is no denying the factual history of Christendom.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:04 PM  

san marcos, texas
I agree, the bible was written by more than 40 different men. There are even books of the bible that failed to be canonized. In fact what we know as the bible today was not assembled until the 3rd century by a council of Bishops that VOTED on what stays and what goes. And until the printing press was invented in the 15th century, the bible was written by hand onto parchment, which could easily be altered. Ever hear of the game telephone? It is simply a fact that the bible has changed over time, and with it its meaning and laws and beliefs have continued to change to fit the morals of the time.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:47 AM  
Traveler

Knoxville, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by addie View Post
I agree, the bible was written by more than 40 different men. There are even books of the bible that failed to be canonized. In fact what we know as the bible today was not assembled until the 3rd century by a council of Bishops that VOTED on what stays and what goes. And until the printing press was invented in the 15th century, the bible was written by hand onto parchment, which could easily be altered. Ever hear of the game telephone? It is simply a fact that the bible has changed over time, and with it its meaning and laws and beliefs have continued to change to fit the morals of the time.

Why I Read the Authorized King James Version

Quote:
We must remember that the Bible is a spiritual book and is understandable to those who are led by God's Spirit. It is not possible for the natural man to understand it (I Corinthians 2:14), hence paraphrasing or simplifying it will do no good. The Bible is not supposed to read like a fairy tale--Peter said, "for we have not followed cunningly devised fables" (II Peter 1:16). The words of the Authorized King James are not laborious to me, they are beautiful and full of God's power. Even the world knows it--the Authorized King James has been listed on Norton Anthology's list of "the world's best literature" for decades.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:50 AM  
Traveler

Knoxville, TN
The new versions have come up with some dangerous changes to the scriptures. The Lord God gives us stern warnings about changing His Word--

Revelation 22:18-19, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
Proverbs 30:5-6, Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:21 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Or maybe that guy just wrote that to protect his own additions.

Just food for thought

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 12-18-2011, 03:26 PM  
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
A Kids View of the Christmas Story - YouTube

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!